FULL ABDOMINAL & PELVIS SCAN
What is this scan for?
The upper abdomen contains all the digestive organs, including the liver, gall bladder, bile ducts, pancreas and spleen. This scan investigates the cause of abdominal pain or discomfort that can result from effects of blockages or diseases of the digestive system.
- Liver masses, cirrhosis and fatty liver
- Gallbladder (cholecystitis)
- Blocked bile ducts
- Spleen conditions
In the lower abdomen, sensitive and painful symptoms can arise from your renal system; kidneys, bladder and uretha such as:
- Urinary Tract Infections (UTI)
- Stones in the kidney or bladder
- Causes of persistent bladder problems.
In the pelvic area, the condition of the prostate is assessed to identify if this is causing sensitive symptoms.
What does this scan show?
This scan looks for abnormalities and obstructions in the condition of the liver, gall bladder, spleen, pancreas, kidney or bladder by:
- Checking the size, shape, and position of the liver and rule out liver masses, cirrhosis and fatty liver.
- Detecting gallstones, inflammation of the gallbladder (cholecystitis), or blocked bile ducts.
- Looking for damage or disease and size of the spleen.
- Finding problems with the pancreas, such as a pancreatitis (inflamed pancreas).
- Finding out the size of the kidneys, detect kidney masses
- Checking the shape, size and condition of the bladder for abnormalities.
It also assesses the condition and size of the prostate in the pelvic area to identify if there are signs of disease.
The Ultrasound Scan Procedure
Ultrasound is safe, non-invasive and does not use ionizing radiation. It has no known risks and is usually pain free. During the ultrasound scan the Sonographer will place a water-based gel on the area to be examined, and will then press on the skin with an ultrasound probe, moving it around to obtain the desired images. When the scan is completed the gel can be wiped off easily using tissue.